For March's Grades 1-2 Book Club, we read Jedi Academy by Jeffrey Brown. Thomas was present.
1. Why do you think Roan writes in a journal? What do you write about in your journal or what would you write about if you had one?
2. How do the other students treat Roan when he arrives at the Jedi Academy? How do you treat new students? What do you do to make them feel welcome?
3. Roan likes to relax by drawing comics. What do you do to relax?
4. How do you think the letters from Roan’s father and older brother make him feel?
5. Roan thinks that being young like Ollie is sometimes easier. What is difficult and what is easy about being young?
6. Are there any characters that you think might be leaning toward the dark side? Use examples from the book to explain.
7. Roan feels left out when he goes back home to Tatooine. Have you ever felt left out? What made you feel better about the situation?
8. How does Pasha feel toward Roan after the lightsaber-fencing tournament? Were you surprised by his reaction? Why or why not?
9. Compare Roan’s feelings toward the Jedi Academy at the beginning of the story and at the end of the story?
10. Would you rather go to the Jedi, Pilot, or Agriculture Academy? Why?